tiny house insurance.

UPDATE as of 12/1/14: I am back in contact with Darrell Grenz to secure insurance.

UPDATE as of 8/6/14: Foremost has once again cancelled my insurance, citing “travel trailer does not meet current underwriting requirements, because the travel trailer is not built to RVIA standards.” Michael is working on currently working on getting a new policy written. I’ll keep y’all posted (fingers crossed!)

UPDATE as of 9/9/13: Foremost changed how it wrote the policy, and my agent has changed. His name is Michael St. Claire with Farmers Insurance.

503-601-8800 (Office)

UPDATE as of 8/9/13: Foremost has cancelled my insurance (saying it was incorrectly categorized). I will post the progress. (though I don’t think this was Darrell’s fault, I was frustrated by his lack of responsiveness)


The tiny house is insured through Foremost insurance. It is fully covered (fire, flood, etc.) under the platinum package (a fifteen dollar a year increase) for roughly $420 a year. Additionally, I purchased trip insurance to cover the move at $75.

My insurance agent was amazing. It took a single day to get coverage, and he even came to see us off on move day. If you are having trouble tracking down insurance, contact Darrell Grenz


12 thoughts on “tiny house insurance.

    1. Hey April, you should let Dee Williams (tiny house builder of Portland Alternative Dwellings) know this as she was looking into insurance options. She and others (including me) have had a hard time finding options since there are many loopholes that would disqualify a tiny house if something happened and some agents won’t insure it like an RV. Do you know what type of insurance you got? RV? home? vehicle? other? I’ll give the agent a call. thanks!

      1. My agency is licensed in Oregon and Washington. I believe the policy was a mobile home with a travel endorsement. Please call me any other questions. 503.227.1288

  1. I’m amazed, I have to admit. Seldom do I come across a blog that’s equally educative and entertaining, and without a doubt, you have hit the nail on the head.
    The problem is something which too few men and women are speaking intelligently about.
    I am very happy I came across this during my hunt for
    something concerning this.

  2. omg u just saved my life. I have been hunting and hunting for insurance. I have a tiny house. I had my mobile home insured through them. Which I liked. So I called the agent. Thank u thank u thank u. I hope that she can help us as well. My house is safe. My husband is an ENG in the ARMY and went to school to be a structural ENG. (Don’t judge my spelling.) But when I tell insurnace agencys they dont care. I just want it insured for theft and floor and fire lol. excuse my spelling. kid hitting keyboard!

  3. Hi April,
    I was wondering if you were required to have an inspection or RV certification in order to get your insurance? We are building a tiny house in Oregon, too, and were very excited to see there is insurance available in our area!

    1. I was not required to do any permuting/inspections at all. I did register it as a mobile home with the DMV, but all that required was a certificate from Trail Dust trailers (where I ordered the base trailer). Hope that helps- let me know if you have any questions and blessings in your build!!

  4. April, I wanted to give an update with regards to insurance. I now have a comprehensive insurance plan offered via Lloyds of London. This includes the dwelling, contents and the liability. The premium is coming in around $500 a year and is currently available in all of the Western States.

    Please call (503) 206-6736 or email me:darrellgrenz@gmail.com with questions.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s